Find trends and outlooks, education and more on financing rural America from Farm Credit Services of America.

More Content

Protecting your Farm Against Shallow Losses

It is widely accepted that the profit from an acre of corn or soybeans often exists in the last few bushels produced – the majority of bushels go to pay expenses. So when you experience a loss – but not enough to trigger a claim from your multi-peril insurance policy (MPCI) – your profit disappears.

Supplemental policies from private companies allow you to raise your corn or soybean insurance coverage so claims kick in with less of a loss.

One of these policies, offered by FCSAmerica, is GAP – Great American Plus. You can extend coverage from 80 percent to 90 percent, 80 percent to 95 percent or 85 percent to 95 percent with an underlying yield or revenue policy.

The cost varies based on actuarial data for each county. The best combination of MPCI and supplemental policy depends on each farm’s situation.

This two-minute video illustrates how supplemental policies work.

Call your local FCSAmerica office before March 15 to discuss all your crop insurance needs for the 2019 growing season


Load more comments
Your comment has been received and is being reviewed.

Comments are moderated and reviewed before they are posted on the site. View our terms of use.


Jan 21, 2020 | Crop Insurance

Indemnity Payments for 2019 - A Measure of Crop Insurance's Value

"This gives you an idea how important crop insurance can be in helping producers meet their obilgations." Tony Jesina - FCSAmerica SVP for insurance

Feb 25, 2022 | Crop Insurance

Farm Policy Update

Learn more about the basics of the programs, current conditions and key considerations.

May 12, 2022 | Crop Insurance

Risk Management Considerations Before Hail and Wind Damage

Learn more about hail and wind coverage as part of your risk management plan.

Ready to Talk?

Contact us if you have questions or need more information. Fill out the form, or connect with your local office using the Office Locator.

FCSAmerica serves farmers, ranchers, agribusinesses and rural residents in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming. For inquiries outside this geography, use the Farm Credit Association Locator  to contact your local office.