Insures against decreases in livestock selling prices while enabling producers to benefit from an increase in market prices.

Play Video


Livestock Risk Protection (LRP) is an insurance program offered to producers of fed cattle, feeder cattle, marketable dairy cattle and hogs.

A user of LRP first selects an end date for the insurance policy that is close to the expected marketing date for the livestock and then selects a coverage price level to insure.

If, on the end date of the policy, the regional/national cash price average (not the producer’s cash price) is below the insured coverage price, the LRP insurance pays an indemnity to make up the difference.


  1. Contact your local office.
  2. Submit an application.

When you are ready for coverage to take effect, you will need to:

  • Determine the number of animals you wish to cover that will be ready for market at a particular weight.
  • Choose the insurance period appropriate for reaching the target weight.
  • Select a coverage price for the duration of the policy.
  • Contact your agent no later than 4:00 p.m. in order to bind the desired coverage. The rates are only good for that day.

Why Work With Us For Insurance?

Dedicated Specialists

They focus 100% of their time on crop and livestock insurance — every working day of every week in the year. They don’t sell property, casualty or life insurance.

Highly Trained

Our insurance officers receive annual training on RMA changes to crop and livestock insurance plans and stay informed throughout the year.

Financial Expertise

As a lender, we understand financial risk and work to protect your working capital, not just your crop or livestock.

Decision-Making Tools

Our proprietary Optimum tool analyzes federal and private insurance policies to find the best choice whatever your risk management goal.

Ready to Talk?

Contact us if you have questions or need more information. Fill out the form, or connect with your local office using the Office Locator.

FCSAmerica serves farmers, ranchers, agribusinesses and rural residents in Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming. For inquiries outside this geography, use the Farm Credit Association Locator  to contact your local office.